22 March 2008

How Did You Use Your World Water Day Today?

I wasn't sure how to celebrate today's event (besides purchasing a few Charity: Water's this morning. I'm planning on giving them to my family for Easter tomorrow.) I decided after breakfast to go about my day as I would normally except that I am going to take a real notice of how much water I use.
To say that I need water in order to stay alive is an understatement.
As soon as I woke up I realized that I needed water just to start my day.. brushing my teeth, showering, and going to the bathroom. Then I need to drink it, I need it to make coffee, I need it to clean my fruits and veggies and I realized as I'm unloading my dishwasher that I also use it to clean. All before 10 a.m.
After getting dressed in my clean, previously washed clothes, I remembered that I wanted to put my plants outside today (It is so nice out) and water them. I also had to give Giant, the new pup, some water and Reptar, the iguana, some too. At this point I needed some more for myself as well.
Then I had some tea.
Making an early dinner for myself (It's Saturday night, I'm planning on going out later), I effortlessly filled a pot up with water to boil some penne. I then cleaned more vegetables. I drank more water. Giant needed more too.
As I'm sitting and waiting for my dinner to finish cooking, I tried to imagine living in an area of the world that has next to no access to clean, usable water. The closest realization that I can bring myself to comprehend without actually living without water, is that moving forward, whether it be personal advancements in life or an entire country of people trying to better their world, has to be next to impossible. Without wells or proper irrigation, third world countries will not be able to advance themselves to a sustainable way of life.
So instead of spending X amounts of money on alcoholic beverages tonight, I decided to instead use that money to buy a couple more Charity: Waters. It's the least a girl living in NJ who has never known to be deprived of water can do.


.My neighbor using water to wash off his bike this evening.




.As I was finishing today's post Patrick gave Giant a bath.



.Reptar loves to swim.


.We also live on the water.

0 comments: